vendredi 9 avril 2010

Travel to Morocco - 10 days vacations in Morocco

On March/April 2010 I went 10 days to Morocco. On an amazing trip I spend a great time exploring the south part of this fantastic country.

After my travels in South America and Far East Asia, I decided to travel Africa for the first time. 2 years ago I was almost decided to travel to South Africa but I ended canceling that trip due to a short time notice photography work in Lisbon.

Morocco went up on my expectations. I was expecting to find something less interesting although what I found was a country ready to receive tourist, still, not missing all its charisma and traditional culture.



Photo by Carlo Tancredi on http://www.flickr.com/photos/carlotancredi/4272487482/in/pool-moroccan

Step 1 - Fly Cheap to Morocco

I got a cheap ticket from Lisbon to Madrid and from Madrid to Marrakesh. I used both Vueling airlines (from the airplane from Lisbon to Madrid ) and EasyJet airlines (from the airplane from Madrid to Marrakesh). The total cost round-trip ticket costed me 180 Euros. Not bad to flight from Europe to Africa, although Portugal is not that far from Spain and Spain not that far from Morocco.

If someone is flying from the United States, I advise to to get a cheaper, affordable ticket either to Portugal or Spain, from where you can easily get a cheaper ticket to Morocco. Also, in south Spain you can get cheap ticket to Morocco on a 35 minutes ferry-boat crossing from Tarifa city to Tangier city in Morocco.

Cheap Airlines to Morocco, Cheap Ticket to Morocco
Step 2 - How to Move in Morocco, Transportation in Morocco

I only used local transportation. For several times I got a shared taxi and other times I got cheap local buses, and, I bought a ATV tour from a company in Ouarzazate.

From Marrakech to Sahara Desert I got a long ride bus, yes it took a while but I got to sleep the whole time since it was a night bus. I had someone from the desert hotel I booked online to pick me up. My bus went from Marrakech to Rissani where I got there in the morning.

Local shared taxis from Ouarzazate to Marrakesh run almost every hour and you can get one at Ouarzazate's Bus Terminal. I was luck to stay in a hotel just 5 minutes walk away from it. The shared taxi costs 120 Dirhams although you can get the whole taxi for 600 Dirhams and fit up to 7 people inside.

There are also CTM Buses from Ouarzazate to Marrakesh at 8am, 11am, 12pm, 16pm and the price costs 80 Dirhams. The trip takes 5 hours to cross the High Atlas Mountains and 200km road trip.

Step 3 - Where to sleep in Morocco, Hotels in Morocco

Hotel in Marrakech - I started to get a cheap hotel in Marrakech. Without any kind of booking I searched for a cheap hotel in Riad Zitoun Lkdim street and found a very nice one called Hotel Medina. A double room costs 100 dirhams (10 Euros). Bathrooms are outside of the rooms and showers also. So after this I decided to stay in hotel with rooms with private bathrooms. A bit more expensive but I get full privacy and ultimate cleanness all for myself.

Hotel in Ouarzazate - I stayed 2 days in this nice cozy and well decorated hotel in Ouarzazate called Dar Rita. This is a small house converted into a nice guest house. The owner is a foreign girl that moved to Morocco a couple of years ago. Impressive service and great value for the money. I payed 500 Dirhams for a single room, breakfast and incredible diner included. This hotel is located on a quiet traditional district of Ouarzazate, near the river and surrounded by old houses like a little village type. Perfect for hiking lovers. I walk several hours in the river bank up to the cinema studios and had great fun (take water with you).

http://www.darrita.com/

Hotel in Sahara Desert - I stayed in this friendly hotel right on the dunes, swimming pool . Many people go for Sun set camel trekking in the dunes. I stayed on a cozy well decorated room and could enjoy the swimming pool as the weather was hot already in the beginning of April. I payed 25 Euros for a single room, breakfast and diner included. Every night there's live music with drums from Sahara.

http://www.aubergedusud.com/



Photo by The eclectic Oneironaut's at http://www.flickr.com/photos/theecclecticoneironaut/2959334508/

1 commentaire:

  1. I found your website perfect for my needs. Thanks for sharing the great ideas. Whole article is too good and well written.

    RépondreSupprimer